Saturday, November 24, 2012

Tribute to Dallas

I’m sorry to hear another great star passed this year. Larry Hagman, better known as J.R. on Dallas. I grew up watching Dallas. It was great family time on Friday night, after a hard week or school or work, to get wrapped up in the drama. I remember when everybody wore “who shot J.R?” T-shirts.

This is the show that inspired me to write. The emotions and twists and turns of the plot drove me to pick up the pen for the first time. I remember buying a theme book of blank notebook paper where I hand wrote my first novella. A western, of course. And who can forget the character Afton, the sultry songstress who tangled with both J.R. and Cliff?

The inspiration didn’t stop there. I bought a cowboy hat, boots, and a pack of bandanas. I rode a horse every chance I got. When I won a trip to Houston, I was beyond excited. The men handling the bags at the airport wore hats and boots too.

Need I mention that Texas men are especially hot? There’s nothing sexier than a cowboy wearing tight designer jeans with a big belt buckle and a half-buttoned shirt. Dallas had plenty of men to drool over and nice ranch scenes for overall western flavor. I can’t wait to go back to Texas in 2013 to The Naughty Little Sleepover reader event (http://sassyseven.com/naughty-sleepover/).

I’m a retro TV fan, so I’ve been watching the Dallas reruns. Having experienced more of life, I get even more out of them than watching them the first time. I watched part of the sequel that aired recently, but it just didn’t have the same magic. The power, the elegance, the something I can’t even define.

You might be gone, J.R., but never forgotten.

Afton Locke
Unlock your fantasies...
www.aftonlocke.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Afton,
I too was a fan! And then I was excited having lived in Dallas my senior year of high school and attend my Prom at Southfork!!

Of course it was after the show had stopped being filmed but still I loved all the characters. Got my husband to watch the reruns when we were married.

J.R. was always my favorite...but then I kind of had a crush on Larry Hagman when he was Major Nelson on old "I Dream of Jeannie" shows.

Hubby and I started watching the new season--just to see what J.R. was up to. He was still as ruthless as ever, but you are right, there is just something about it that's not the same. I don't see the show being around much longer... J.R. was still the draw on it for me at least.

Thanks for the tribute to a wonderful actor.

Afton Locke said...

A prom at Southfork! I'm envious :-)